icon-truck AUST WIDE DELIVERY Syd $200+ FREE

Toxic Cleaning Chemicals to Avoid in Cleaning Products

December 26, 2022

Toxic Cleaning Chemicals to Avoid in Cleaning Products

Many households don't think about the toxic chemicals they use daily. Many assume that these cleaning products are safe because they do the job. Although many household cleaners effectively clean your home, there can be serious health risks. You have reached the right place if you want to find a safer and more natural way to clean your home. We can help you identify harmful chemicals and avoid them.


These chemicals can be found in many products other than cleaning agents.

  • Shampoos
  • Hair sprays
  • Lubricating oils
  • Flooring

One's reproductive health can be affected by phthalates. Four types of phthalates were banned in Europe because of their harmful effects. These include:

  • Butylbenzyl phthalate
  • Di(2-Ethylhexyl phthalate
  • Dibutyl Phthalate
  • Diisobutyl Phthalate

Synthetic Fragrances

Avoid cleaning products that contain synthetic fragrances. Synthetic fragrances are often called "parfum" because of the harmful cleaning chemicals they contain. This increases the likelihood of allergic reactions. Even if you don't have an allergic reaction to these fragrances, they can cause cancer or congenital disabilities.


Phosphates were traditionally used to soften water. However, excessive growth of algae can be caused by phosphates. Like phthalates and shampoos, phosphates are often found in hygienic products and shampoos. Studies have shown calcium deposits, and cardiovascular disease can be linked to phosphate consumption. Calcium deposits can cause heart disease and harden the arteries.


Bleach can irritate the eyes, skin, and lungs when used. Bleach can also chemically burn human tissue.

The following symptoms may occur after inhaling bleach:

  • Skin rash
  • Headaches
  • Migraines
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting or discomfort in the abdomen
  • Chest pain

Bleach fumes are extremely potent. Although bleach can kill microorganisms and bacteria, too much exposure to bleach can be dangerous.


Ammonia is a common chemical found in glass cleaners (Windex), all-purpose cleaners, ovens, and toilet bowl cleaners. Because it can dissolve grease and grime, ammonia is a common household chemical. It leaves surfaces streak-free. Ammonia can irritate and burn the eyes, nose and throat if it is too much. Blindness and lung damage can be caused by prolonged exposure to ammonia.


Chlorine is one of the most commonly used chemicals in homes. It can be found in the following:

  • Laundry detergents
  • Dishwashing detergents
  • Mildew and mould removers
  • Toilet bowl cleaners

Chlorine can be very toxic if inhaled. High levels of chlorine can cause pulmonary oedema. This is a condition in which fluids build up inside the lungs. Exposure can also cause skin and eye irritations.


Triclosan, a chlorinated organic chemical compound, has antibacterial and antifungal qualities. Triclosan can be found in liquid soaps like dishwashing detergents and hand soaps.

These antibacterial cleaning supplies Sydney can often cause the following:

  • Lung, eye, and skin irritation
  • Antibiotics are killed
  • Hormones are disrupted
  • When exposed to high levels of dust, it can cause asthma.

Lighter soaps should replace these antibacterial products with fewer ingredients.


Some household cleaners may contain formaldehyde, such as:

  • Laundry detergent
  • Dish soap and detergents in liquid form
  • Soap for the bath

Formaldehyde can cause cancer, anaemia, liver damage, and kidney disease in household members. It can irritate the skin, eyes and lungs like many other toxic cleaning chemicals. Others may experience severe symptoms like skin rashes or shortness of breath.

Sulfuric Acid

Drain cleaner is a common household product that contains sulfuric acids. Most professionals do not recommend drain cleaners due to the potential damage they can cause to your drains. Many people don't know that sulfuric acid can cause severe skin burns. If one is exposed to sulfuric acid for too long, it can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.


Isothiazolinones are a group of biocides used as preservatives for cleaning products. Although this chemical was originally used to replace parabens in cleaning products, it has also been shown to have dangerous effects. This toxic cleaning chemical can irritate, damage the nervous system and even cause eczema.

The majority of isothiazolinones found in cleaning products are:

  • Benzisothiazolinone
  • Methylisothiazolinone
  • Methylchloroisothiazolinone